The application of CFD models is extensively replacing traditional costly and lengthy methods, such as the wind tunnel scale or full size model testing or the laboratory testing in the design and evaluation of building projects. The building industry has utilised the developments in dynamic modelling, CFD codes are being used to predict the performance of HVAC, passive systems, wind engineering etc.
Although a number of different factors such as construction, spatial and safety standards, economy and of course aesthetics affect the design of a building, environmental issues like efficiency, pollution, environmental friendliness and, subsequently, energy consumption should also be taken into account. CFD modelling gives a reasonably fast and accurate tool to predict the influence a particular design will have on the performance of the building.
Using CFD models ICON can help you simulate and predict:
- Airflow inside and around buildings
- Air change efficiency
- Humidity in buildings
- Pollutant concentration and removal
- Air velocity distribution
- Temperature distribution
- Age of air in rooms
- Fire hazards and smoke migration
- Natural ventilation, stack ventilation and passive systems
- Solar radiation
- Tunnel and subway station modelling (moving train meshing included)